make fake DIY wallpaper utilizing vinyl decals to create the look of ceiling wallpaper utilizing a block print model so as to add drama to any room.
We all know one factor for positive about our daughter’s “preteen” bed room makeover at this level; it positively isn’t boring.
The classic Swedish wallpaper, the basketweave fandelier, the Smoky Blue paint, and now the newest DIY chook wallpaper ceiling all add as much as fairly an announcement. It’s so whimsical! Plus, I managed to create the look of ceiling wallpaper utilizing a fake technique for simply $67!
The Greatest Room to Attempt a Wallpapered Ceiling
Including wallpaper to a ceiling is such a enjoyable option to elevate a room whereas including colour and sample to that “fifth wall”.
Since there actually isn’t another room in the home the place you stare up on the ceiling fairly as typically as while you’re mendacity in mattress, a bed room is the right place in the home so as to add huge persona from above.
As a substitute of counting sheep on this bed room, I assume Olivia will rely birds.
We’re actually going all in with a maximalist decor look by implementing numerous enjoyable patterns into this bed room makeover as a result of Olivia is at all times a more-is-more type of lady.
This fake DIY wallpaper ceiling undertaking utilizing vinyl sticker decals in a block print sample is unquestionably one thing that may add further drama to an already dramatic room, or it will possibly look delicate in a minimally adorned area.
You possibly can adapt this tutorial to work with any type of decal shapes in a block sample too, not simply birds.
Why Select Peel and Stick Fake Wallpaper for a Ceiling?
I liked the look of this sparrow wallpaper from Lulu and Georgia however couldn’t justify the price of $198 per roll. Your entire ceiling utilizing that wallpaper would have value $792!
By utilizing these chook vinyl decals to create fake wallpaper as an alternative, it solely value me $67 for the whole 13’x13′ ceiling.
Putting in pasted wallpaper or a peel and stick mural on partitions is tough sufficient however putting in it on a ceiling is much more difficult because you’re working towards gravity.
When you don’t really feel assured in your wallpaper hanging abilities, you’ll probably spend extra on a contractor to hold it too.
When you don’t wish to decide to actual pasted wallpaper, peel and stick fake wallpaper decals are simple to take away later. Eradicating pasted wallpaper although is sort of a laborious course of.
Works on Textured Ceilings
The ceiling on this bed room has a slight popcorn texture. It’s not a brilliant chunky popcorn, but it surely does have a barely raised texture.
I used to be in a position to apply the vinyl decal birds proper on high of the feel with none adhesion issues.
Add a Fake Wallpaper Ceiling Utilizing Vinyl Sticker Decals
It’s not fairly Lulu and Georgia, however this candy fake chook wallpaper turned out so significantly better than I’d hoped. It will be nice to make use of as an accent wall too!
- Chook vinyl sticker decals – I used 3 packs (Stars, butterflies, or another shapes would work effectively too.)
- 2 tape measures
- Laser degree or laser measuring software
- Calculator (It helps to double examine your measurements as you’re employed since after some time numbers actually begin to swirl round in your head.)
Step 1 – Determine Your Measurements
Measure your total room and resolve how far aside you wish to area your sticker decals on the ceiling so that you simply received’t find yourself with decals midway reduce off while you place the final row.
This bed room is 13′ x 13′. I made a decision to area the birds 12″ aside, alternating their spacing in every row.
Step 2 – Mark the Ceiling Placement
1. Stretch the tape measure throughout the room parallel with a wall. I positioned my first tape measure at 12″ from the wall.
2. Stretch the second tape measure perpendicular throughout the primary tape measure on the spot the place you wish to place your first decal. (In my case, I needed it 12″ from the wall.)
3. Place your laser software flat on the ground the place the 2 tape measures meet in order that it factors as much as the ceiling.
4. Mark the laser dot on the ceiling with the marker.
Step 3 – Measure and Mark 1-2 Rows
1. Repeat Step 2 by shifting the second tape measure (the perpendicular one) down the primary tape measure (the parallel one) to the following 24″ mark.
2. Mark a dot each 24″ alongside the tape measure on the ceiling utilizing the laser as your information.
3. As soon as my first row was marked, I slid the tape measure over 12″ and repeated the method marking each 24″ however began marking 24″ from the sting of the wall to alternate the earlier row.
The First Row marked measurements – 12″, 36″, 60″, 84″, 108″, 132″, 156″
The Second Row marked measurements – 24″, 48″, 72″, 96″, 120″, 144″
The sequences of these two rows repeat till the whole ceiling is marked.
Step 4 – Place Vinyl Sticker Decals on Ceiling Marks
Use scissors to chop out every vinyl decal individually from the complete sheet and place every one on the ceiling the place you beforehand marked the rows.
I attempted to show the birds all totally different instructions and alternate their totally different shapes to imitate the look of the Lulu and Georgia sparrow wallpaper so no two similar birds had been positioned instantly beside one another.
Repeat measuring, marking, and inserting decals till you will have a totally lined fake wallpapered ceiling!
The Completed Chook Wallpaper Ceiling
This DIY undertaking actually wasn’t arduous to do in any respect! It was simply tedious shifting the tape measures, checking measurements, and climbing up and down a ladder a bajillion occasions. 🤪
I completely love how this whimsical ceiling turned out although! So in the long run, even when perhaps I have to schedule a chiropractor go to now, it was nonetheless completely price it.
Birds have a really sentimental that means to our household:
- Olivia’s grandfather is an artist who hand carves and paints birds.
- My and Robert’s marriage ceremony had a chook theme.
- Olivia’s nursery after we lived in my mother and father’ spare room again in 2012 was adorned with birds.
So including the birds to the ceiling in her room a decade later felt very very like a “full circle second”.